Judge, Queensland Court of Appeal
Date of Birth
27 December 1944
- St Joseph's Nudgee College, Boondall
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Queensland
- Centenary Medal (2003)
- Judge, Queensland Court of Appeal (2007-)
- Commercial List Judge, Supreme Court of Queensland (2002-2007)
- Member, Land Appeal Court (1997-2000)
- Judge, Supreme Court of Queensland (1997-2007)
- Member, Committee of the Bar Practice Centre (1995-)
- Appointed Queen's Counsel (1986)
- Admitted as a Barrister of the Supreme Court of Queensland (1976)
- Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland (1969)
Extra Judicial Positions
- Chairman, Rules Committee (2007-)
- Chairman, Committee of the Bar Practice Centre (2006-)
- Member, Rules Committee (1998-2007)
- Chairman, Queensland Law Reform Commission (1998-2001)
John Daniel Murray Muir was born on 27 December 1944 in Innisfail, Queensland, to Lawrence Walker Muir, teacher, and his wife Anne Isabella (née McNaught). He attended St Joseph’s College Nudgee (1959-1962) and the University of Queensland, graduating Bachelor of Arts (1965) and Bachelor of Laws (1968). Muir completed his articles of clerkship at the Brisbane firm of Feez Ruthning, and was admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland on 18 February 1969. He practised as a solicitor from 1969 to 1975, including a two-year period in London. He married Sandra Rose Beck on 23 May 1970. They had two daughters.
On 3 February 1976, Muir was admitted as a barrister of the Supreme Court of Queensland. He then practised at the bar in Brisbane for a period of 21 years, taking silk on 13 November 1986.
On 3 April 1997, Muir was appointed a judge of the Supreme Court of Queensland. He also served as a member of the Land Appeal Court (1997-2000) and as a Commercial List judge (2002-07). Muir awarded the Centenary Medal in 2001. Muir was chairperson of the Queensland Law Reform Commission (1998–2001), chairperson of the committee of the Bar Practice Centre (2006-) a member of the Rules Committee constituted under section 118C of the Supreme Court of Queensland Act 1991 (1998–2007) and Chairperson of the Rules Committee (2008-). On 13 July 2007, he was appointed a judge of appeal.
View Papers by The Honourable Justice John D M Muir