Date of Birth
14 July 1957
- Church of England Grammar School (now Anglican Church Grammar School), East Brisbane (1967-1974)
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), The University of Queensland (1979)
- Judge, Queensland Court of Appeal (2008-)
- President, Bar Association of Queensland (2007-2008)
- Member, Council of the Australian Bar Association (2007-2008)
- Honorary Treasurer, Australian Bar Association (2007-2008)
- Director, Law Council of Australia (2007-2008)
- Vice-President, Bar Association of Queensland (2006-2007)
- Member, Council of Bar Association of Queensland (2005-2008)
- Appointed Queen's Counsel (1992)
- Practised at the Bar in Queensland (1981-2008)
- Law Clerk at Henderson & Lahey, Solicitors (1980)
- Associate to the Honourable Justice Dunn, Supreme Court of Queensland (1979)
- Admitted as a Barrister of the Supreme Court of Queensland (1979)
Extra Judicial Positions
- Chairperson, Bar Practice Course Management Committee (2015-)
- Chairperson, Queensland Supreme Court Library Committee (2009-)
Hugh Barron Fraser was born on 14 July 1957 in Brisbane, to Hugh Barron Fraser, medical practitioner, and his wife, Mary Rose (née Macrossan). He was educated at the Church of England Grammar School (196774) and the University of Queensland, graduating Bachelor of Laws with honours (1979). He served as associate to Dunn J (1979).
On 18 December 1979, Fraser was admitted as a barrister of the Supreme Court of Queensland. After working as a law clerk at the Brisbane firm of Henderson & Lahey (1980), he commenced practice at the bar in Brisbane (1981), taking silk on 3 December 1992. Fraser married Margaret Watson Brown in 1979. They have one daughter, Lucy, and two sons, Henry and Douglas. He served as a member of the council (200506), vice president (200607) and president (200708) of the Bar Association of Queensland, and a director of the Law Council of Australia (200708). He was also honorary treasurer and a council member of the Australian Bar Association (200708).
On 25 January 2008, Fraser was appointed a judge of the Supreme Court of Queensland and a judge of appeal. Fraser has served as chairperson of the Queensland Supreme Court library committee since 2009.
View Papers by or relating to The Honourable Justice Hugh B Fraser